From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 08:58:17 CDT

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 13:25 +0200, aizoon_at_gmx.net wrote:
> Hello
>
> For unknown reason I cannot enter an arbitrary isovalue for the

well, there have been some funnies with MacOSX versions of
VMD recently, which seems to be mostly due to the "funny" ways
of how apple developers seem to be modifying libraries.

> display of the electrostatic potential isosurface. I can only chose
> from the values which are set by the slider (e.g. -0.354...) in the
> graphical representations panel. If i enter a number (e.g. -1) and
> press "apply" (or enter), the value I entered (e.g. -1) disappears and
> the default value which is closest to the one I entered (e.g.

i don't quite get which default value you mean.

> -0.354...) appears. How can I enter exactly the isovalue I want? I am
> using VMD 1.8.7 with APBS 1.1.0 on Mac OS 10.5.8.

there is always the option to use the text mode interface.

you can look up the command in the user's guide or you can
turn on logging, see which command changes the isovalue by
dragging the isovalue slider in the graphical representations
dialog and then type the corresponding command with your
desired value into the text mode console.

cheers,
   axel.

p.s.: ...or you could install linux. it works fine there. ;)

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology