From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 15:50:56 CDT

Hi,
  I think that a likely solution to this problem will arise when we finish
updating psfgen to allow support for a broader diversity of VMD plugins and
file formats. This would enable one to emit the resulting structure
in one of several other file formats that don't suffer from limited
length data fields. We are already working on this in support of some work
with very large simulations in my research group, but there's more to do
and so at present it is an experimental implementation. I will let people
know when the updated psfgen is available. In the mean time, you may find
it easier to workaround this problem by modifying your atom types etc to fit
within the limitations of the non-extended PSF format used by the currently
available version of psfgen.