From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 15:36:23 CDT

Hi Mengjuei,
  Just to clarify your note: The method that you'd used previously
for 2.3.0 does not work for 2.3.1? Or it works in both cases?
Technically, it should not be necessary to delete the .dylib files
included with VMD, as the NVIDIA drivers are intended to be forward
compatible from one revision to another. I've previously filed a bug
on the symptoms you and others have seen with 2.3.x with NVIDIA, as
has someone else, so hopefully this will be completely addressed in
an upcoming version. In the mean time, so long as you don't have new
bugs appearing as a result of switching from the 2.2 runtime to the 2.3.1
runtime (by virtue of deleting the 2.2 runtime library from the VMD install)
that might be a reasonable short-term solution. It may be a bit of
good fortune that you're able to run VMD with the 2.3.x runtime library,
normally I wouldn't expect that to work at all.

The next VMD release I make will be based on CUDA 2.3.x or later, and I hope
that future MacOS X revs and CUDA revs will not create unforseen compatibility
issues like the one you and others have run into with the switch from
MacOS X 10.5.x to 10.6.x and CUDA 2.2 to CUDA 2.3.x.