From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 10:07:31 CDT

Hi,
  If you use a Tcl trajectory frame callback, it should work regardless
how you make the movie and you should be able to use it interactively
as well as during movie rendering. Here's a crude example script.

##
## Example script showing a way to add user-drawn geometry that updates
## as a trajectory is animated.
##
## To use this script:
## 1) load your trajectory
## 2) source frameupdate.vmd
## 3) enabletrace
## 4) do your thing :-)
## 5) disabletrace

proc enabletrace {} {
  global vmd_frame;
  trace variable vmd_frame([molinfo top]) w drawcounter
}

proc disabletrace {} {
  global vmd_frame;
  trace vdelete vmd_frame([molinfo top]) w drawcounter
}

proc drawcounter { name element op } {
  global vmd_frame;

  draw delete ll
  # puts "callback!"
  draw color white
  set psperframe 1.03
  set time [format "%8.3f ps" [expr $vmd_frame([molinfo top]) * $psperframe]]
  draw text {10 10 0} "$time"
}