From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 13:07:30 CDT

Dear Lubos,
  Sounds like there's a video driver problem if you see flashing of any
geometry during rotation. I've seen this with varoius Linux drivers
over the past year. Usually it can be solved by correcting the AGP
settings in the Linux drivers and/or a few BIOS settings that affect
the speed and behavior of the AGP bus. (i.e. write combining, etc.)
I'd suggest sending a bug report to ATI if you are convinced that your
machine is otherwise fine. I've reported bugs to ATI on a couple other
things I've seen happen with their drivers, though I haven't heard anything
back about it for a while.

As for getting labels to render with external programs:
  Generally speaking, none of the external renderers can actually draw "lines".
We have a hack in place that makes a feeble attempt to render "lines" by
drawing very thin cylinders. While this hack is enabled for the dotted lines
that are used by H-bonds and the distance measurements, we don't have a
matching hack in place for the labels. As I recall I've tried this before
with poor quality results. I'll give it another try this week and see
if there's any easy fix beyond what I've tried before. It will never look
the same as what you see on-screen in OpenGL since these other renderers
can't actually draw real lines.

Thanks,