From: Jim Parker (jim.parker_at_prismsciences.com)
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 21:44:31 CDT

Hello,
  I recently installed both VMD and NAMD on an Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit system
from binaries. Both programs work fine separately. However, I would
like to use the VMD GUI extensions menu to interface between VMD and
NAMD, but when I select "Extensions" the menu is blank.

I found a similar thread on the archives
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/12227.html

but the solution provided was to ensure the plugin tree was available to
the user. My plugin tree does exist (as provided by the binary) under
directory <root-vmd-dir>/plugins and <root-vmd-dir>/plugins/noarch/tcl
lists the several directories (or upgrades from them) that are listed on
the archived message.

I did modify the ./configure script to put my install_bin and
install_library_dir in appropriate positions, and my PATH variable lists
both directories (I wasn't sure if I needed both, but have tried with
and without the install_library_path to no avail)

The namd2 executable directory is also in the PATH variable.

Any help would be appreciated,

--Jim Parker
UTSA Physics and Astronomy