From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 16:10:38 CDT

Simon,
  Yes, VMD still supports FreeVR. You should be able to compile
from source with any of the recent versions of FreeVR.

If you want checkerboard stereo in a normal non-VR VMD session,
the best option will be to use the latest NVIDIA Quadro drivers
which provide support for these and several of the other
unusual stereo formats internally. The Windows Quadro drivers support
this already, they expect to add it to the Linux drivers in the near
future from what I've been told.

Cheers,
  John