From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:05:46 CDT

Hi,
  The text commands for various coloring and material settings are
documented in the User's guide on this page, the specific command you
are interested in is 'mol modstyle'
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node126.html

You can also see the text equivalents of GUI operations you perform
through the use of the 'logfile mylogfile.txt' command,
which saves all operations to a text file.
(be sure to use 'logfile off' when finished..)

Thanks,