From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 16:02:00 CDT

Hi,
  Unless you are a glutton for punishment, I'd reccommend
avoiding writing your own DCD file code. :)
Instead, I'd recommend using either a sequence of PDB files,
a multi-structure PDB file, or some other easy-to-write ASCII-based
file format. DCD files are Fortran-formatted binary files that
are not endian-independent. The only documentation for DCD files would
be found in the old X-PLOR manual, or with Charmm, since those
programs seem to have originated the format.

If you need help loading a bunch of PDB files (which are not "easy"
to format correctly, but much easier than a binary DCD file) check out
this script:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/animatepdbs/

Thanks,