From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 10:59:37 CDT

Nicolas,
  Yes, you should be able to use the new "outline" material properties
(and several example materials) to get edge outlines, both in VMD itself,
and with Tachyon, as described here (make sure to enable the GLSL rendering
mode to try it in VMD itself):
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/glsloutline/

If this isn't what you had in mind, send me an example image that
shows me what you're doing and why it's different than the technique
we've got built-in in VMD 1.8.7 and I'll see if I have an alternative
suggestion. My hunch is that you'll be able to get what you want by
tweaking the material properties in VMD.