From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 13:27:57 CDT

James,
  Try installing the OpenGL version instead of the Mesa version and
let me know if you get different behavior. I have to admit that we have
not yet tested VMD on Redhat 9 ourselves, so this is useful information.
I suspect you may have better success with the OpenGL version due to the
way it was linked, but even if not, please let me know so I can give you
a new test version to try if that doesn't pan out. You can ignore the
Tcl warnings you got when invoking the binary directly, that's a
predictable side effect of not using the 'vmd' startup script to run it.
Its the seg fault that we have to debug here...

Thanks,