From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 11:31:59 CDT

Hi David,
  As far as I know there are no memory leaks in VMD 1.8 that would
cause the behavior you are observing. Its quite possible that this
is a bug in the Radeon 9700 driver on Windows XP. A couple of questions
for you that might help narrow this down, so that we can find the source
of the problem:
  1) What molecular representations are you drawing when you observe
     the memory leak occuring?

  2) If you load VMD with no molecules drawn, just displaying the title
     screen, do you observe the same behavior?

  3) Can you see a difference between the rate of leaking if you draw a
     molecule in "VDW", "Surf", or "Bonds". Those three reps consist of
     very different OpenGL commands. If one leaks and the others don't,
     then we can send a bug report to ATI and tell them what is causing
     the problem.

If you can provide more info we can find the bug in VMD (if any) or report
the problem to ATI if its a driver problem. So far you are the first to
experience this problem so that's why I suspect its an issue with the
Radeon driver.

Thanks,