From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 10:42:33 CDT

Hi,
  What do you get if you do this:
set sel [atomselect top "resid 1 to 288 and name CA"]
$sel num

Do you get 288, or 223?

If you get 223, then you need to change your atom selection
so you're getting all of the CAs you intended to. Depending
on the numbering in the PDB, you might not be selecting what
you think you are. In that case you may want to use the "residue"
selection keyword instead, as it uses VMD's internal unique
residue numbering.