From: Steve Jensen (excalibur313_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 30 2009 - 12:27:01 CDT

Hi Everyone,
I am using VMD for analyzing VASP POSCARS and I notice that there are certain things that I have to every time that I load a file or start a new session. I tried looking around for how to change these presets, but I was curious if any of you could help.

Change default file type to POSCAR
Change default view to orthographic
Change default drawing method to VDW (w/ sphere resolution of say 14)
Make it periodic in +x and +y

Also, on another note, is there a way to specify my molecule as one unit so it could be easier to rotate/manipulate it or parts of it as a whole while leaving the surface alone? (group 10 atoms, leave the other 70 alone) Basically I am wondering if there is an easy way to try out different orientations of a molecule on a surface without having to apply tons of rotation and translation matricies in excel.

Thank you so much for your help!
Stephen

PS- On a final note have people ever run into issues with clipping when running VMD on a cluster? I am on a redhat enterprise 4 x86 64 bit cluster and when I load vmd all the graphics are constantly flashing.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.