From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 16:11:31 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  I've just posted a new beta version of VMD 1.8.7 for download.
This version incorporates all of the recently discussed features
such as built-in support for ambient occlusion lighting and
coloring by volume in Tachyon renderings, and I've added builds
for AIX 6.x, a MacOS X 10.4.x build for those with older laptops,
and a new Windows build that incorporates CUDA support.
In this new version you'll also notice that I've made significant
revisions to the VMD GUI color scheme based on feedback from many
users. With Axel's help we've also revised a number of the plugin
GUIs to better accomodate laptops and netbooks with small screens.

Please let me know how the new features work for you, if
you encounter any stability problems, whether the new colors
hurt your eyes, and so on.

In particular, I'm very curious how well the new Windows version with
CUDA support works, as this version is compiled with a different
set of compilers and runtime libraries, and may be subject to
problems that never occured with the previous Windows versions
(though these would not be CUDA-related). This feedback will
be very helpful since we plan to begin using these newer compilers
for all Windows builds of VMD going forward.

Enjoy:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/Download/download.cgi?PackageName=VMD