From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 21:08:44 CDT

I just heard back from one of the users that had been getting
a crash, and it turns out they had an old version of VMD installed
in the same directory (they didn't uninstall the old version prior to
installing the new one). After they uninstalled all VMD instances
and reinstalled VMD 1.8.7, things started working correctly for them.
I'll see if I can adjust the VMD 1.8.7 installer to detect when a user
attempts to install over the top of an existing installation, but for
the time being, please double check on this and let me know if you're
still having trouble.