From: Anton Arkhipov (anton_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 12:48:10 CDT

Hi Wenchang,

Actually, I made that image using MSMS for the water box, setting
material to transparent. That makes a nicely looking box. But, you
definitely should be able to use volmap. You can try to vary the
volmap parameters a bit, say, using 3 or 5 A resolution, and 3 or 5 A
atom size. Also, for selection in volmap you don't have to use "water"
- you can use "all", then the box will be more uniform inside.

As to the virus capsid, I indeed used MSMS. I had to use MSMS there
for a few overlapping selections (each about a quarter to a third of
the capsid). So, you don't have to render each protein unit in MSMS
separately.

Best,

Anton.