From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 10:28:42 CDT

Hi,
  When your density map is generated you should see some messages like
this in the VMD text console:
  Info) Analyzing Volume...
  Info) Grid size: 284x284x284 (349 MB)
  Info) Total voxels: 22906304
  Info) Min: 0.000000 Max: 0.603308 Range: 0.603308
  Info) Computing volume gradient map for smooth shading

Be sure to select an isosurface representation with an isovalue that
falls within the min/max range, typically toward the very lowest end of
the range for this type of rendering, or you won't see anything.
For the example above, I'd recommend using an isovalue of 0.01 or so.

Once you've got that, then you'll want to use a transparent material,
and you can then render the image with Tachyon, or one of the other
renderers, and get a nice figure like the STMV figure.

I should also warn that the volmap command can generate very large
datasets very quickly if you use a high-resolution grid spacing on
a large molecular complex. While you're doing your testing, I'd
suggest starting with a coarse grid spacing like 2A and
work your way toward progressively finer grids so you don't run yourself
out of memory. Each halving in grid spacing multiplies memory usage
by a factor of 8x.