From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 22:38:21 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, you can either remove the old version before installing
the new one, or you can install the new one to a different location
(by editing the top few lines of the 'configure' script before
 installing, or by setting environment variables VMDINSTALLBINDIR
 and VMDINSTALLLIBRARYDIR before running 'configure').