From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 13:49:36 CDT

Jeff,
  If you have a SpaceNavigator, that's a new device that speaks
a different protocol. I have driver code for these in the Linux
and Windows versions of VMD already. For MacOS X, I have a partially
functioning implementation, but I have some bugs to work past before
it will be truly usable. It may or may not be finished for 1.8.7,
we'll see how it goes. To use the SpaceNavigator on MacOS X, you have
to have their drivers installed and running. And in that case you need
not use the old VMDSPACEBALLPORT variables etc since this driver is
auto-detected at VMD startup time.