From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 12:34:34 CDT

Jeff,
  Which model of Spaceball are you trying out? The RS232 spaceball
driver compiled into VMD is something I wrote myself and it only supports
the older Spaceball 2003/3003 models. If you have a Spaceball 4000FLX or
one of the other newer models it probably won't work in that case.
As for which device node to use for the serial port, that depends on what
USB/RS232 converter device you're using. I would expect the docs for the
RS232 converter device to talk about this. If you have one of the later
model Spaceball 4000xxx USB devices, my RS232 driver probably won't work.
Let me know if you need more help with this.

Cheers,
  John