From: JT (jtibbitt_at_odu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 12:30:04 CDT

Hi. I'm trying to hook up a 3DConnexion Spaceball mouse for use with
VMD. The mouse works with other 3D programs, so I'm pretty sure it
was installed correctly. The VMD Userguide says that the
VMDSPACEBALLPORT environment variable must set to the Unix device name
of the serial port to which the Spaceball is attached, and that also
the permissions must be set to allow the VMD user to open the device
for reading and writing. How do I find out which port the mouse is
using? I tried /dev/ttys0 (just to see what happens), and set the
permissions as suggested. Upon startup, VMD recognizes the mouse and
understands which port I set, but it does not work. I see many ports
in /dev, but nothing that sticks out as a 3DConnexion enabled port.

Thanks,
Jeff