From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 10:29:29 CST

Hi,

You can find (and change) the color assignments in the Color menu. Under
Categories, choose Structure, then select one of the Names items to see
what color is assigned to that secondary structure category. If you change
the color assignments or the color definitions, the changes will be stored
in any vmd save_state files you create.

To answer your question, alpha helices are purple, beta sheets are yellow,
and coil is white.

Justin

--
  Justin Gullingsrud        3111 Beckman Institute        217-244-8946
  I been dropping the new science, and I be kicking the new knowledge,