From: Goutham (gouthambs_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 10:30:30 CDT

I once had to do something very similar. If you know the range of
atoms/residues that form an alpha helix, then you can find the principal
axes of the helical part to define the axis. I used the linear algebra
package to find the principal axis etc. :

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/orient/

THe orient package has the commands to find principal axis. If you use the
above package, the I_3 (third component of principal axes) is what you are
looking for...

Best
Goutham