From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 09:38:18 CDT

Martin,
  This is a limitation in the existing VMD external
renderer support. I'm working on it for the final release
of VMD 1.8.7, and have it partially working, but it's not quite
there yet so it is still disabled. I should note that VMD does
print warnings about this when the scene is rendered. If you look
at the output in the VMD console you'll be warned anytime you attempt
to render a VMD scene that contains geometry, lighting, or coloring
that isn't exported to the external renderer. In any case, I hope to
have this implemented (at least for Tachyon) for the VMD 1.8.7 release.