From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 23:49:42 CST

Hi,
  From what you've said below, I can see that the source of your
problem is that you set the MSMSSERVER variable incorrectly. VMD
is expecting the MSMS executable path, not the name of the directory
that contains it. If you have it in an "msms" subdirectory of
/usr/local/bin, then you'd need to set the MSMSSERVER variable
to something like this:
  /usr/local/bin/MSMS/msms.X86_64Linux2.2.6.1

You can check if this variable is being passed on to VMD
by running this command within VMD:
  puts "MSMSSERVER variable: $env(MSMSSERVER)"

You should make sure that the MSMS executable you've specified
actually exists and is runnable, by executing it by hand, e.g.:
  /usr/local/bin/MSMS/msms.X86_64Linux2.2.6.1

You should see output akin to this (when I run it on my system):
johns_at_casablanca.ks.uiuc.edu{26} /usr/local/bin/msms
MSMS 2.5.5 started on casablanca.ks.uiuc.edu
Copyright M.F. Sanner (1994)
Compilation flags -O3 -mips3 -xansi -DVERBOSE -DTIMING -DFUNCPROTO -fullwarn
MSMS: No input stream specified

Cheers,
  John

http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/%7Eaxel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part7.html#chap9_sect1