From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 10:41:09 CST

Hi,
  VMD renders the potential on surfaces using 3-D texture mapping.
As each pixel is drawn in a constituent triangle composing the surface
being rendered, the GPU performs a texture lookup on the potential value
at that 3-D location. Depending on the texturing mode, the texture
lookup is either simply plulling the "nearest" potential value, or it
does a trilinear interpolation from the 8 nearest potential values to
compute the potential at that point. There are some other complexities
involved in how the image appears depending on how the surface was generated
versus the way the potential map was computed, but I'll hold off on explaining
all of that unless you need to know more. Let us know if that answers
your question.