From: Eric H. Lee (ericlee_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 20:53:13 CST

No, but the point of the .dat file is so that you can reprocess it
through tachyon again to add features such as shading, anti-aliasing,
and change of resolution if you want a really sharp image. Otherwise,
taking a snapshot through VMD produces an image limited to your screen
resolution.

-Eric

On Jan 11, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Irene Newhouse wrote:

> Thanks! So that rendering doesn't give you an image file you can use
> directly.
>
> Irene
>
> > Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:50:51 -0600
> > From: petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> > To: einew_at_hotmail.com
> > CC: vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> > Subject: Re: vmd-l: odd render problems with Vista
> >
> > Hi Irene,
> > the .dat file is input to tachyon; if you're rendering through the
> gui,
> > an appropriate tachyon command to read that file and render an image
> > (bitmap on windows, apparently, and targa file elsewhere).
> > Best,
> > Peter
> >
> > Irene Newhouse wrote:
> > > Thanks! I've already gotten imagemagick for other other reasons,
> but tachyon
> > > comes up with a .dat default file extension??? Someone else
> suggested
> > > freeware,
> > > which I tried, & which can cope with VMD's .bmp & convert it to
> almost
> > > anything
> > > else.
> > >
> > > Irene

> a raster
> imagemagick
> convert the

> If I write
> that make

> that can open
> capacity to
> Microsoft
> Windows

> > > <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009

> > > Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
> > > <http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009
> >

> Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.

Eric H. Lee
Medical Scholars Program
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group, UIUC
ericlee_at_ks.uiuc.edu