From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2008 - 08:55:03 CST

Have you tried just simulating it to see what happens? Four residues
is only one turn of a helix and probably won't maintain that
structure unless it's part of a larger helix. Even if it is, unless
the energy barrier between the two conformations is high, it's quite
likely that it will adopt the structure you expect in the simulation.

NAMD in general knows nothing of secondary structure (this is not
quite true in the latest version though); therefore, trying to embed
secondary structure using HELIX flags in a pdb will not work, and
should not even. If the conformational changes don't occur naturally
in the simulation, your best bet is probably using AutoIMD or even
just moving certain residues in VMD to approximate what you want
(minimization can fix any extended bonds you make).