From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 07:24:08 CDT

Depending on what sort of coloring scheme you want, you can either make
several different graphical representations containing different sets of
atoms that are all colored differently, or you can use one atom
selection and choose to color by a field like beta, occupancy, or user.
Those fields can be manipulated fairly easily; see
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd/tutorial-html/node3.html#SECTION00036000000000000000
for an example.
Best,
Peter