From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 13:55:54 CDT

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Oren Elrad wrote:

OE> I tried it from the "main" vmd window (uses > as a prompt instead of
OE> %) with the same (lack of) result.
OE>
OE> It's curious that you should suggest that because the script that I
OE> referenced in my OP is run at the TkConsole level (e.g. %source
OE> "script.tkl"), at least so I thought.

please try using "play" instead of "source".

tkcon does not run on the global level but has many tcl commands
wrapped via "rename" and then uses a lot of "eval". this will be
take some big effort to make it work for vmd, particularly because
the tkcon code is almost like a demonstration in how strange code
one can write in tcl...

OE> Thanks for your reply!
OE>
OE> Oren
OE>
OE> PS. Wouldn't declaring %Global vmd_frame avoid any scoping issues, or
OE> am I not understanding some deeper (byzantine) relationship between
OE> tcl and tkconsole?

i don't know tkcon that well, but my guess is that with 95% probability
tkcon is at fault and not vmd...
i ran in similar problems before and learned that using "play" and
a text editor is the best way to work around its issues.

cheers,
   axel.