From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 16:27:03 CDT

Hi,
  Can you determine if this is just a file browser issue with Tk?
What happens if you do this within the VMD console before attempting
to load a file in the GUI:
  set env(VMDFILECHOOSER) FLTK

That should cause FLTK's file chooser to be used rather than Tk, and
it will either avoid this problem, or assist me in determining where the
path length limitation is occuring.