From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 10:33:03 CST

Hi,
  There is no maximum number of atoms in VMD, however the maximum number
of bonds allowed to a single atom is 8. Since VMD was designed for
visualization of biological structures, this is typically not a problem
unless you are viewing a structure that lacks connectivity information and
has overlapping or very closely spaced atoms and VMD is forced to use
a distance-based bond search to make up for the lack of bond information
in the loaded structure. (i.e. when loading a PDB file by itself)
If you can tell me more specifically what kind of problem you're having,
I would be happy to offer suggestions to remedy the situation.

Thanks,