From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 00:37:54 CDT

Ghalib,
The function of the cutoff parameter in PME is described in the NAMD
manual at http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/2.6/ug/node24.html. If
you use pme, the cutoff should have very little effect on your
calculated electrostatics unless you go to the very small (<7 A or so)
or the very large (on the order of your box size), as all it represents
is the point at which you switch between short range and long range
electrostatics. Using cutoffs as long as your box can break many things
in namd, so this is not a good test.
Also, please don't cross-post to vmd-l and namd-l. This has been
repeatedly mentioned on both lists.
Best,
Peter