From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 19:36:49 CDT

Hi,
  There's not presently a workaround for text objects with the
external renderers. I've been working on addressing this in the
new version of VMD but the new code isn't quite done yet, otherwise
I'd offer you to try a test version. I can let you know when I have
something for you to try on this however.

  John