From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 12:08:34 CDT

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Raul Araya wrote:

RA> Dear VMD users:

dear raul,

RA> This question might be out of the scope of this mailing list, but I really
RA> need help.

since catDCD is utilizes VMD's molfile plugins, it sortof fits in.

RA> I have a DCD trajectory file composed of a tetramer of a protein,
RA> lipids, waters and ions and I want to generate separate trayectories
RA> of each monomer alone. I cant do it in VMD because the DCD file is
RA> very large (8+ GB) to be loaded in the memory of my machine, I want
RA> to use

first off, you don't have to load the whole file. you could just
load a part and convert that, then skip over that part and convert
the next part and so on.

RA> catDCD but I dont really understand how can one select the atoms in catDCD.
RA> The example states :
RA> "-i <indexfile>indexfile should contain the (zero-based) indices of the
RA> atoms in the dcd
RA> files whose coordinates are to appear in the output file. The indicesshould
RA> be ASCII text, separated by whitespace."
RA>

RA> but I dont quite understand what are the "(zero-based) indices of
RA> the atoms in the dcd"

the index numbers are exactly what VMD (internally) uses as index.

so if you load a .psf and a single frame of your system, you can then
create a selection for each subsystem that you want to look at and
then do a "get index" on that to retrieve the information you need.

e.g.

set prot [atomselect top "protein"]
$prot get index

cheers,