From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 16:36:05 CDT

Hi,
  The "Snapshot" renderer simply captures the on-screen image, so
the only thing that matters there is how large the display window is.

The resolution controls in the graphical representations window change
the _geometric_ resolution of the polygonal model of the molecular structure,
but not the image resolution.

If you want to generate high resolution images for printing, you'll
likely want to use one of the external renderers. I'd suggest starting
out with Tachyon as it is included with VMD and should be pretty easy to
use in a manner similar to what you've been doing already with the Snapshot
renderer.

I'd strongly recommend that you take a look at the VMD Image and Movies
tutorial for more guidance:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd-ref/imgmv/tutorial-html/index.html