From: Oliver Beckstein (orbeckst_at_jhmi.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 16:46:40 CDT

Hi Ben,

see below for a problem that came up on vmd-l (just in case you
haven't seen it).

> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:06:36PM -0800, SWAPNA wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am new to vmd and I have a problem viewing the vmd filetypes.
>>
>> The file is porcupine_1.vmd
>> I open the file and ask it load the file.
>>
>> It says 'please select a filetype'.
>> I dont see a vmd filetype in the options there.
>> I tried using automatically select the filetype.It doesn't work.
>>
>> Somebody please tell me how to view a *.vmd file.
>> I am working on windows.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>> Swapna

I think this file is from the Dynamite server, http://s12-
ap550.biop.ox.ac.uk:8078/dynamite_html/dynamite_splash_v1.5.html

The instructions at http://s12-ap550.biop.ox.ac.uk:8078/dynamite_html/
interpretation.html do say to load it with

  vmd -e porcupine.vmd

but that's probably not so helpful for windows users. Perhaps John's
explanation below should be added for the benefit of Windows users?

Oli

On 31 Mar, 2008, at 02:22, John Stone wrote:

> Hi,
> Use the File->Load State menu item for this purpose.
> Be sure that your VMD session has the correct working directory
> before loading, if the .vmd file uses relative pathnames...
>
> Cheers,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu

Oliver Beckstein * orbeckst_at_jhmi.edu
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine
Dept. of Physiology, Biophysics 206
725 N. Wolfe St
Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Tel.: +1 (410) 614-4435