From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2008 - 17:19:47 CDT

Just FYI,
  I will likely be changing the embedded Tcl interpreter
in upcoming test builds of VMD, and the next major release
to Tcl 8.5.1. This shouldn't cause any difficulties for anyone
other than people that have developed their own C/C++-based
plugins that directly add new commands into VMD
(e.g. psfgen, and similar plugins). Once I change from Tcl 8.4.x
to 8.5.x, any C/C++-based plugins that link against Tcl that you
make available to other VMD users will also need to be linked against
a matching version of Tcl. This is only a minor change in most
cases, but I thought it would be worth noting early-on so that
people can keep this in mind. I'm currently testing with Tcl 8.5.1
and will let people know when I've got the first test builds of VMD
for all platforms, so that users can begin giving us feedback.