From: Ignacio Fernández Galván (jellby_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 04:59:41 CDT

--- Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:

> whenever you install updates on linux machines with
> manually installed nvidia drivers, you are danger of
> losing that functionality. some distributions overwrite/regenerate
> the X11 configuration with updates and also for new kernels
> you have to rebuild the nvidia kernel module.

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I had not installed the drivers
manually, I've been always using the urpmi tools to install and update
as much as possible (including the kernel and nvidia drivers).

> the safest way to handle the situation is to: turn off x11
> ("telinit 3" as superuser), uninstall the nvidia drivers,
> run the update, install the nvidia drivers again, check
> configuration and reboot into the normal runlevel.

At the end that's what I had to do. I tried uninstalling and installing
the distribution's rpm packages, with no luck. So I downloaded the
latest nvidia driver and installed it manually (after installing the
rmp's, since there was a conflict). Now it's working fine again,
including the "broken" volume isosurface files, but I still don't know
what was the reason for this sudden (in my view) fail. (The kernel
update/reboot I mentioned was only done after the problem appeared.)

Thanks again,
Ignacio

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/