From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 17:46:22 CDT

Emmanuel,
  If you're running with -dispdev text, then you'll have to use
one of the ray tracers or other external renderers, as the OpenGL display
device is inactive in that situation, and it is not possible to use
the "snapshot" rendering method. Try using "Tachyon" or "TachyonInternal"
for starters, and use the default render command that VMD normally runs
for whichever renderer, and you should be in business.