From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 10:40:59 CST

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, maria goranovic wrote:

MG> Dear All,

dear maria,

MG> When I make movies using the movie plugin from the vmd GUI, I
MG> usually get a movie where things move quickly, and the trajectory is
MG> not very smooth. When I look at movies on the webpages of
MG> ks.uiuc.edu however, I find that the movies move very "smoothly".

MG> I usually use the default settings (MPEG) in the movie maker plugin with a
MG> snapshot renderer on a linux machine. Can anyone please suggest better
MG> parameters ?

the mpeg compression has a fixed frame rate of 24, 25, or 30 frames per
second (default setting 24 fps). so to make an mpeg movie go slower, you
have to record coordinates more often. that will also make the movie
less "jumpy".
on top of that, you can use trajectory smoothing for
your representations (in the Trajectory Tab of the Graphical
Representation window. note those settings are for the
individual rep only), but i would be careful to not overdo
it, as you may be getting artefacts (atoms moving "through" each
other", molecules shrinking on rotation etc.).

hope that helps,
   axel.