From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 10:57:10 CST

Hi,
  We haven't written any tutorials (yet) that are focused on the particular
topics you're asking about. All of the "mol modrep" and related "mol"
subcommands pertaining to drawing methods are described briefly here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node126.html#7156

A very easy shortcut for learning the representation commands in VMD
is to use the command "logfile console" which will cause VMD to print
the representation and other commands that are executed as you interact
with the VMD GUI. By watching the command stream, you can easily learn
the commands for most of the things you'd want to do in VMD without
bothering to read the manual. You can disable the logging feature with
"logfile off".

Let us know if you need more help with this.