From: massimo camarda (camarda.massimo_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 03:02:49 CST

Hello,
I would like to ask if there is any basic but "self contained" tutorial for
basic vmd scripting because
I am having huge problems to start "from scratch".
I would like to make a script that load x molecules, change the
representations for each selection and render the final image,
it does not seam too difficult.
But then, I cannot understand how to correctly change the representation. I
select some atoms with atomselect command,
but I don't know how to change the representation of this selection, I
should probably use the "set" command, but I cannot find a full
description of this useful command.
Generally speaking it seams to me that this basic script knowledge is not as
documented as it should be to allow for an "easy start".
Or maybe is just me that didn't look in the right places :)
Best regards and good work to everybody

Ps. talking of bonds between atoms and informations : where I can find
information about the pdb format or about any other file format that
can be used with vmd and that specify the bonds? (I use xyz but it does not
specify the bonds, I can easly make a program that detect all the bonds
(I prefere to do it in fortran or c++ instead of vmd script) but I cannot
find the format of the file to write.