From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 12:22:40 CST

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, Thomas C. Bishop wrote:

TB> but why do I have to
TB> pbc box -shiftcenter { 4 4 4 }
TB>
TB> to get the box centered on the image of the system?
TB> (shouldn't the default centering on the unit cell center the box on the
TB> system)

at this point you have no information of the position of the
origin of your box and different MD codes have different
conventions for that. in fact, even the orientation of the
box is no longer known (only its shape), which creates problems
with PBC for systems in non-orthogonal cells.

TB> any reason why they should or should not all be same value?
TB> my system dimensions are
TB> {128.945908 95.184196 127.153168 90.000000 90.000000 90.000000}
TB>
TB> so I might expect 4 3 4 would work a bit better...and it does.

you'll have to pick those empirically. alternately you can
provide a selection to calculate the center of your system.
see the plugin documentation.

TB> I presume this has something to do w/ how I initially set up the
TB> simulation and how the PBC box size evolved during min/eq.
TB> but is there any way to determine the shift value from NAMD output
TB> files?

no. it is gone.

cheers,
   axel.