From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 06:51:37 CST

Hi Irene,

I'm not quite sure why you're having problems. When you use namdenergy
with selections, you can have an input trajectory that contains more
atoms than you actually want to consider; a large part of the utility
comes from the fact that it will flag the atoms you actually want (via
the sel1 and sel2 arguments) so that pairinteractions in NAMD only
considers those atoms. As long as you're using a recent (I believe 1.8.6
or later) version of vmd, you should just be able to feed it a structure
with prmtop file and it will work. So, you're run should look something like

namdenergy -vdw -sel $proteinsel $withinsel
(with a -updatesel flag added if you want the selections to be updated
throughout the trajectory -- you'll need to grab one of the 1.8.7
alphas off of biocore to get access to this flag)

Does this make more sense?

Best,
Peter