From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 12:11:51 CST

Oliver,

[multithreading crash with old linux kernel...]
> Ok, makes sense. Unfortunately I can't really update the kernel
> easily on this machine.
> (Btw, with 'VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.5 (August 25, 2006)' these
> bugs do not occur.)

Yes, because VMD 1.8.5 only used multithreading for things like
interactive MD and within Tachyon. The new versions of VMD use
multithreading far more pervasively, so going forward you'll either
have to use a reliable Linux kernel, or use non-multithreaded builds
of VMD. All of the builds we distribute will be multithreaded by
default, but if necessary, I could conceivably produce non-multithreaded
builds on request.

> Could you possibly make an OSX/ppc build of
> vmd-1.8.7a14extrabonds.bin available as well? This would allow me to
> do all my work through the local display.

Yes, I will try and find time to do this later in the week.