From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 01:22:13 CST

Oliver,
  I was checking on the crash symptoms you describe, and these
sound like the known problem with older Linux kernels and multithreading
on Linux kernels earlier than 2.6.9-42. As you are apparently running
2.6.9-22, that would explain the crash problems you've described, as
each of the crashes you mention are in pieces of code that are
heavily multithreaded. The MacOS X oddity you mention sounds like a but
in their X server. Let me know if you have more questions about these
issues.