From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 14:02:49 CST

Hi,
  If you load a PSF for your structure, then VMD will use that
information verbatim without any re-interpretation. If you have already
loaded a PDB or other files that contain partial or complete bond information
followed by a PSF, the PSF will replace any previous bond information.
It sounds to me like your original PSF lacks these bonds.
The only other possibility that I can think of is that you might be using
an old version of VMD or a beta version that might have a bug that's
subsequently been fixed. Since you didn't mention what version of VMD
you're using, I'll have to assume that the problem is with your PSF file.