From: Oliver Beckstein (orbeckst_at_jhmi.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 19:13:32 CST

Thomas,

thank you for the offer but what I'm actually doing is a selection like

    water and not within 3.5 of (protein and not hydrogen)

and then calculating the density of the (dynamic) selection with the
VolMap plugin.

> are you interested in reducing the size of your trajectories by
> deleting every
> atom that is longer than a cuttof distance (you can define this) from
> your
> macromolecule/s. In this way you can make them more "handy". I have
> written a
> tcl script that does this job automatically, if you're interested let
> me know
> and I'll send it to you.

At the moment I am using MDAnalysis tools (python/numpy), which works
really nicely but VMD's dynamic distance selections are actually very
fast and so I wouldn't mind taking advantage of it.

Best wishes,
Oliver